Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

11 September 2015

“Most Close Friend!”

Four years ago today, our Little Man said his very first word: ¡Mamá! He said it in Spanish. And, just like his sister, he continued to speak only Spanish (with a few scattered words in English) until he was just over two years old. Then, from one day to the next – literally overnight – he went from partial phrases in Spanish to complete sentences in English.

That phenomenon surprises me more than ever (over two and a half years later) because – although he now understands “everything” in Spanish (due to the “public” nature of life on the first floor of this house, combined with his attending K-4 in Spanish every weekday morning) – he refuses to speak Spanish at school; he won’t say a single word all morning!

As soon as I pick him up at the door, however, he starts telling me all about whatever is on his mind! But maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised...

A couple evenings ago, he and I were discussing his reticence to speak at school. In characteristic boy fashion, he was averting direct eye contact. And I, in characteristic mom (and teacher!) fashion, was encouraging (admonishing!) eye contact. I was telling him that he should start talking at school (even in English) “because his teachers and little friends at school would like to hear him…”

He raised his head and looked right into my eyes. And with great sincerity, he stated: “But, Mommy, you’re my most close friend!”

“I have a Mother’s Day Gift – even though it’s not Mother’s Day!” 

No comments: