Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

19 October 2015

Update from Ladies’ Retreat

JM wrote a brief update on last week’s ladies’ retreat:

Thank you for your prayers for us during these last several days.

In this case, a three-day ladies’ retreat represented many more days of preparation (for Déborah) and juggling of schedule (for all of us). We moved out to Camp Emmanuel in Guazuvirá for these days, E and I commuting back and forth to her school in the outskirts of Montevideo. The Lord gave great grace, and the ladies – almost forty – seemed to really appreciate and profit from the teaching.


The focus was on Bible study, with guidance given about things such as historical and literary context. Déborah taught from several psalms (2, 23, and 67) and from Romans 8 (the “Aconcagua” of the Bible!), trying to put the passages into the redemptive context of the whole Bible and make the gospel applicable to believers’ daily lives. One of our churches’ ladies’ group provided the Gospel Meditations for Women booklets for everyone who attended and also paid for the printing of study materials.


One of the ladies (who is going through great trial) approached Déborah and said with tears (paraphrased):

“As I was doing the homework [from Romans 8:28 and context], I realized that what God is doing in my life is making me more like Jesus Christ so that He, Jesus, would receive glory – HE, the One who died for me! I have been telling my children that ‘God will somehow bring some good out of this.’ But I’m not going to say that anymore. This passage tells me what that “good” is: that I be made like Christ and that HE be preeminent!”

No comments: