Sonidos Serranos

Sonidos Serranos: Sounds of the Sierras...
Reflecting some of my family's interests: God's wonderful creation (especially mountains and hills!), music, and language...

Psalm 121:1-2 (NASB)

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

20 January 2016

Love?! Promises?!

Recently, walking down the sidewalk, running an errand, holding DJ’s hand, I told him that I love him.

He hugged my arm: “I love you so much, Mommy, that even when you don’t exist, I’ll still love you!”


I love watching the little wheels turn in his mind as he tries to understand metaphysical realities; he gets glimpses of how much I love my Mommy and my Grandma and Jona who, as he sees it, don’t exist here...


And his most recent line, when trying to persuade, has been:

“I’ll make a wedding promise that I’ll...”

(Attending a couple of weddings recently inspired conversations about the seriousness of covenant vows, etc.)

On our way to the most recent wedding...


Just this past week, DJ was helping me put clothes into the washer. I showed him the Mickey Mouse t-shirt that Marcos gave to E – five or so years ago?

She’s finally tall enough to wear it.

I explained to DJ that Marcos was a very loving cousin; he chose to give his favorite t-shirt to E – even though it still fit him!

DJ stood there, staring at the door of the washer: “I don’t think I could do that!”

“That’s the kind of love that costs us. Do you think we need Jesus’ help to love in that way?”

DJ nodded, deep in thought; I could tell the little wheels were turning in his mind. Then he said: “When I give you flowers, it’s because I don’t need them...”

He was so confidently frank, entrusting that bit of information to me, that I just had to laugh! And I’m still grinning now as I write. But he obviously has a lot of learning to do...

I’m thankful for the wonderful example he has in his Daddy!

No comments: